Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Kindergarten Common Core Standards

I am taking a break from the clothesline posts and switching gears to covering the Kindergarten Common Core Standards in Math.  I have mentioned a few times how much I LOVE using literature to teach math; I try whenever possible to tie a math concept to a book and a hands on activity.  My next set of posts will hopefully encourage you to do the same.  So taking one domain at a time, here I go!  

MEASUREMENT AND DATA.

Describe and compare measurable attributes. 

This domain is comprised of three different standards:

K.MD.1. Describe measurable attributes of objects, such as length or weight. Describe several measurable attributes of a single object.

K.MD.2. Directly compare two objects with a measurable attribute in common, to see which object has “more of”/“less of” the attribute, and describe the difference. For example, directly compare the heights of two children and describe one child as taller/shorter.

K. MD.3. Classify objects into given categories; count the numbers of objects in each category and sort the categories by count. 1


1 Limit category counts to be less than or equal to 10.

Let me start by saying this is probably my least favorite of the domains.  I think it is WAY too easy for a Kindergarten class to compare only TWO items. Most of my three year olds last year could tell me which cookie was bigger and which cookie was smaller without even thinking about it!  :) But in all seriousness, I do believe comparing only two items is way too easy. But, since my opinion was not taken into consideration when creating these standards, I will work with what we have been given and will quietly continue to have my students compare up to whatever they are comfortable with.  My Kindergarten class last year did five items without any difficulty.  I am curious as to how the rest of you feel about this.  PLEASE COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW!!  
 


The next few days make sure to keep stopping by as each post will be something different to go along with this domain.  

Just a reminder, you can click on the Common Core App on the right of my blog ---------------->
at any time!

Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment