Sunday, September 23, 2012

Literature Connections: Fairy Tales part 3

Another great fairy tale to use with different sizes is Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  I originally was not planning on blogging about this story, as everyone knows this one and figured it would be pretty obvious.

You can even buy a set of "Bear Family" plastic bears.  There are many places out there to get story pieces for this, tons of versions of the story, but then I figured why not?  New teachers may not think this so obvious as those who have been around for a long time.  SO here goes!

Goldilocks is probably the perfect story to practice matching by size. 

Size & Color Teddy CountersBear Family Counters This is an example of just one of the sets out there.


Learning Resources Three Bear Family Sorting Activity (LER0757)









The set I owned came with all sorts of activities and pattern cards and work mats...games, bowls for sorting...Learning Resource Bears

Look at all the great stuff it comes with for not that much more money!  I need to get myself into a creative mood and try to make some of these things for TpT. I am still learning what is copyright infringement and what is not.  :)

Anyway, this is the perfect story to give the kids practice sequencing 3 items by size.
So after choosing your favorite version of The Three Bears (I think there are a million of them!!) I like to use...dun dun dun...

Yep, you guessed it.  The flannelboard is out again.  I have a few sets of these; came from multiple places round the net and curriculum guides.  If you have a keen eye you may have noticed a spoon missing; I have no idea what happened to it!!  So I copied these on cardstock, colored them in, and laminated for durability.  On the back of one set is magnet tape; I find that hot gluing felt to the back of the plastic laminating material does not last.  So anyway, we use these patterns to tell and retell, just like in the other stories previously posted.  We sequence all the items from the bear's house, we match the sizes to each other and to the right bears.  It's a great co-operative activity as well as center.  I love purposely matching the wrong bed to the bear - the kids get a real kick out of it.

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment