Monday, June 4, 2012

Literature-Based Activity

I love using literature to teach both math & science.  When I get to posting science lessons this summer you will see that.  I have an entire preschool science curriculum based on the Magic School Bus.  I can't wait to put all that together for you!

But in the meantime, this week my preschool classes are doing an activity based off of this book:


This story is so cute I can't even tell you.  "Dog" is a white puppy with a black spot on his left ear.  As he goes throughout his day he has some mishaps which, by the end of the day, looks like this:


We start by reading the story as part of circle time.  We talked about how poor Dog gets so messy, mostly not of his own fault, and how that happens to us too some times.  The afternoon classes were able to show me "spots" they had on their clothes from earlier activities.

Afterwards, we go to the tables where each child gets a copy of Dog (I traced from book and enlarged) and some spots.  I have a circle punch that I use to make the spots.  We then re-read the story and attach Dog's spots.  The youngest kids can all apply their own glue and love looking for the right color.  I am fortunate that we have enough help that I have an adult with every 6 kids for the 2 yr olds so they can each monitor a table to offer help where needed.

Here is a group of 4 year olds working on their Dogs:

As you can see, I have the spots lumped in a tray they can dig through.  The younger classes are given a little more assistance with the spots.

When reviewing the picture at the end of the project, we count the spots to practice one-to-one correspondence and rational counting, but also ordinal numbers as we count which spot he got first, second, third, etc.

I am looking forward to remaking this page and offering it up as a freebie...when I learn how to. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment